Here’s a quick Thai marinade, perfect for tiger prawns- this would work well with other seafood as well e.g squid or a whole fish.
– raw big prawns, ideally still in their shells
– half a teaspoon of white peppercorns (if you cannot find white, leave them out)
– 2 sticks of lemongrass, tough outer layers peeled off
– 2 cloves of peeled garlic
– 5 to 6 washed coriander roots
– 2cm piece of fresh yellow turmeric, peeled (or small pinch of turmeric powder)
– 2 birds eye chillies
– splash of fish sauce & pinch of white sugar & sea salt
A few hours before you want to cook, get your pestle & mortar ready to prepare the marinade.
Method for the marinade:
1) Pound the peppercorns, chop the lemongrass & pinch of sea salt- crush until quite fine.
2) Add the garlic & coriander roots, pound again.
3) Chop up the chillies & turmeric and add them, pound again.
4) When it’s all relatively smooth add a tablespoon of fish sauce and pinch of sugar to the mix.
5) Prep your prawns, leaving the shell on (this stops them drying out). *Remember to remove the vein using a skewer or toothpick!
6) Rub the prawns all over with the marinade and leave to marinate for at least an hour.
7) When you’re ready to cook, grill them until charred…
8) Serve with coriander & lime pieces squeezed over.